Evaluating Listening Skills and Non-verbal behavior
#include<cstdio>
int main(void)
{
printf("
The slouched back-lean. The occasional glance at the watch. The periodic checking of the phone. The couple sat just opposite me, facing each other at the dining table. Their exchange of superficial probing questions gave away the fact that it was perhaps their first date - but the signs I listed earlier at the top of the paragraph betrayed another fact - that they probably were not quite as into each other as they'd have first expected.
Why do I say this? I wasn't the one who said it. They told it to me. Neither of them got up from their seats, delivered a half-witted apology to the other, strolled up to me and said "we aren't working out", of course. Their non-verbal communicative aspects, such as body language, told me that. Communication scientists have published many papers stating how the non-verbal aspects of communication actually make up a larger part of communication than the verbal aspect itself - a fact which, upon first hearing, baffled me (I mean, isn't communication after all about talking? How can the non-spoken outweigh the spoken in a form of interaction whereby the verbal is a dominant aspect?!?!?!). The things we do subconsciously, the clothes we wear and even how close we stand to someone might betray parts of us that we would rather have hidden.
Back to the couple in question - the slouched posture of the male specimen could have indicated that perhaps he felt un-involved in the conversation, and has thus subconsciously reflected his lack of involvement physically by drawing his body away from his female counterpart, and back into the seat of his chair - which brings me to my next point: the female counterpart. Her occasional glance at the watch could have given away the fact that she was either in a hurry (in which they wouldn't quite be having an awkward conversation about how they weather has been recently, would they?) or that she was biding her time, waiting for the disastrous first date to blow over. Their periodic glance at their mobile devices also communicated to me that they might not have quite been sufficiently engaged with each other, and had to find a secondary source of engagement .
Now that you have a good mental image of what I saw, allow me to pull apart several aspects of what happened - why did it turn out to be this way? (No, I'm not going to examine the probable causes of an awry first date and how to avoid them; that would be covered in another blog post) The constant checking of personal mobile devices might have enlarged the proverbial ice walls around their hearts to each other, but I believe it is a symptom of a much larger issue - that our culture nowadays is simply so interconnected and fast-paced that we could no longer live in the moment. We want engagement, and we want it instantly. In an age where we are constantly bombarded with information and engagement via social media and interactive applications, we cannot help but recoil and cringe at the thought of a moment spent without such interaction. Our fingers twitch, we reach into our pockets - and in a moment's notice, we get that instant gratification - all at the whim of our mind's craving for constant engagement. This outcry manifested in the scene that unfolded -albeit briefly - in their occasional glances at the phone. May we learn from this example and examine ourselves from time to time, investing our attention in those we care about instead.
That being said, I'm going back to Facebook right after I post this. I'm craving engagement right about now.
");
return 0;
}
int main(void)
{
printf("
The slouched back-lean. The occasional glance at the watch. The periodic checking of the phone. The couple sat just opposite me, facing each other at the dining table. Their exchange of superficial probing questions gave away the fact that it was perhaps their first date - but the signs I listed earlier at the top of the paragraph betrayed another fact - that they probably were not quite as into each other as they'd have first expected.
Why do I say this? I wasn't the one who said it. They told it to me. Neither of them got up from their seats, delivered a half-witted apology to the other, strolled up to me and said "we aren't working out", of course. Their non-verbal communicative aspects, such as body language, told me that. Communication scientists have published many papers stating how the non-verbal aspects of communication actually make up a larger part of communication than the verbal aspect itself - a fact which, upon first hearing, baffled me (I mean, isn't communication after all about talking? How can the non-spoken outweigh the spoken in a form of interaction whereby the verbal is a dominant aspect?!?!?!). The things we do subconsciously, the clothes we wear and even how close we stand to someone might betray parts of us that we would rather have hidden.
Back to the couple in question - the slouched posture of the male specimen could have indicated that perhaps he felt un-involved in the conversation, and has thus subconsciously reflected his lack of involvement physically by drawing his body away from his female counterpart, and back into the seat of his chair - which brings me to my next point: the female counterpart. Her occasional glance at the watch could have given away the fact that she was either in a hurry (in which they wouldn't quite be having an awkward conversation about how they weather has been recently, would they?) or that she was biding her time, waiting for the disastrous first date to blow over. Their periodic glance at their mobile devices also communicated to me that they might not have quite been sufficiently engaged with each other, and had to find a secondary source of engagement .
Now that you have a good mental image of what I saw, allow me to pull apart several aspects of what happened - why did it turn out to be this way? (No, I'm not going to examine the probable causes of an awry first date and how to avoid them; that would be covered in another blog post) The constant checking of personal mobile devices might have enlarged the proverbial ice walls around their hearts to each other, but I believe it is a symptom of a much larger issue - that our culture nowadays is simply so interconnected and fast-paced that we could no longer live in the moment. We want engagement, and we want it instantly. In an age where we are constantly bombarded with information and engagement via social media and interactive applications, we cannot help but recoil and cringe at the thought of a moment spent without such interaction. Our fingers twitch, we reach into our pockets - and in a moment's notice, we get that instant gratification - all at the whim of our mind's craving for constant engagement. This outcry manifested in the scene that unfolded -albeit briefly - in their occasional glances at the phone. May we learn from this example and examine ourselves from time to time, investing our attention in those we care about instead.
That being said, I'm going back to Facebook right after I post this. I'm craving engagement right about now.
");
return 0;
}
Hey Kai Ler,
ReplyDeletethe last part of the blog post is really humorous! I also do agree that many couples nowadays, especially in Singapore, are really distant from one another in term of body language. I guess due to the digital world that we are living in today, electronic devices such as mobile phones, serves as a "social buffer". In the case that you have shared, maybe the guy has something to say, but he just couldn't find the right words to convey the things in his mind, so he began using his mobile phone, which would "buy" some time for him.
And the part about the body language that the couple gave to one another, it could mean two things: either they are drifting apart, or has time brought them together for too long that they became family. Sometimes when I am out with my family, I would also give away the same body language, especially when I am physically tired. It is not that I am uninterested or anything, it is because I am so used to being with them that I behave whichever way I want without being conscious about what my family thinks of me, you see what I'm trying to say here?
Once again great post!
Regards,
Rachel Ang
Hi Kai Ler,
ReplyDeleteI feel very engaged reading your post, which brings me to the point that engagment can be anything. A well written post like this could be very much be compared to spending time on the mobile device to play games or go on social media to seek engagement. I agree greatly that we are constantly looking for things to occupy ourself with. But instead of spending time on social media or even on interacting, we can change the things we seek engagement in. In such a fast-paced society, shouldn't we relax and appreciate the little time we have left after completing that very hard math question. Shouldn't we spend some time reflecting upon our own emotion and action, and learn more about ourself. Maybe when we learn more of ourself, we would be able to converse better with others - even in situations that may seem awkward, we could break the ice easily because we would posses great confidence. In your post, the couple display non verbal cues that they are not interested in each other and hence were seeking other form of engagement subtly. My point is if either one of them is able to display greater confidnce or be a interesting conversationalist, maybe the other party would feel better engaged and the end reult might be different.
Yet another very intersting and engaging post from you! Thank you!
-Darrell
Sem1902darrell.blogspot.com